It's me

It's me
The Bedouin Woman

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day 2010

Normally this would not be a topic I would find myself writing about. I had enough issues with being a proper mother and sometimes, well most of the time I was the father figure as well.
Coming from a family whose father was mostly never-present, instead of ever-present. I simply can’t relate to people who have had a normal father-daughter relationship. Then of course I met my “real” Father, the one constant in my life and that is my Father God. He never leaves me or forsakes me, He is there for me when no other can be. He is true to His word and someone I can always depend on. Psalm 9:12, 4:1,6:9, 91:1-2, 103:12.
I didn’t want to write about my relationship with my father, but I did want to talk about Father’s in general. Since today is Father’s Day, I was thinking about men and their children and then I thought I know I can write about my sons all 5 of them are Dads.
My oldest son, I know he always wanted to be a dad, he wanted to have a wife and a family, he wanted normalcy. Something which he didn’t have a lot of growing up. Being the oldest of 6 he had a lot of responsibility. I gave him a lot and little did I know during a period of time while I was in nursing school, his father gave him more than his share.
You know (and I know there are many mothers who will be reading this note), that we try to say we don’t have favorites and that is mostly true but there are some who tug at our heartstrings in very different ways. The oldest in the family whether a boy or a girl has a special place in our hearts no matter how old they get. He didn’t have a dad he could depend on, he was never the “manly” boy, he didn’t care about working on cars, hunting or fixing things. Instead he liked movies and reading, he loved people and being with friends. A lot of times he got blamed for things that wasn’t his fault, his father and him never really “bonded”.
My son wanted “normal” he wanted a family he could lather with love, he had a lot of love in his heart, but his dad just wouldn’t let him give it to him and so, he never received the kind of love and attention a boy should from his dad. He was going to change all that when he had a family and change it he did. He now has 2 boys and a girl, the last child just graduating from high school. He was a very proud dad and he adored(s)his kids so much so maybe sometimes he overgave. He was always there for his kids, he showed love in many ways. He took them places, he went to their games, he was willing to have his kids try many different sports until they found one they enjoyed and were good at. Sometimes at the expense of his sanity he gave and gave and gave. He is a single dad, having custody of his kids when the oldest was about 5, (and having a son with special needs). An unusual thing yes, but he did the job like no woman I know. He gave up things so these kids could have a life. He also educated himself while his kids were getting an education. He started out as a CNA at 15, an LPN at 18, a Nursing Home Administrator at 24, Regional Director at 30. RN at 35, BSN at 40 and finally Masters Degree at 45 and now working on Doctorate. Am I proud of this child? You better believe I am! He has done above and beyond any expectations I ever had of him~
So, today I want to take the time to say “I’m proud of my sons and their children”. I’m proud of how they parented, I’m proud of the way they love their children. And sons don’t think I’m excluding you in this note, who knows, I might write about you next year. There is just not enough space or time to write every detail about you. How dear you are to me and how much I love your children. I just felt I needed to recognize my firstborn for his accomplishments the bible says there are special blessings for the first born and I know there are many blessings in store for this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment