It's me

It's me
The Bedouin Woman

Monday, May 3, 2010

The Milestone Birthday

So, here it is the "Milestone" birthday. The day I turn 65, my Medicare year. It all came about so quickly so unobtrusively. Why, it seemed just yesterday I was in my late 40's and about to become a grandmother for the very first time! I can remember that day so clearly. I was on the beach with a friend and had a beeper, no cells phone for me as they had just come into production for the common man. anyway the beeper goes off and I call my son and to my delight he informed me my first granddaughter had been born. That was 21 years ago? Oh my that can't be, I still feel 40ish!

As I sit here writing this blog I think about early this morning, how I woke up with an achy pain(a brand new one)in both my legs. I think to myself, so is this what it's going to be like on this milestone birthday, pain in both legs?? So at that time I no longer felt "40ish".

For the past 6 months I have been inundated with information for and about Medicare. Every insurance company this side of the Yukon territory has sent me brochures, huge packets of information "fill this out, fill that out, check this box or that box before May 3rd" or what? What exactly will happen if I don't comply? By the way, the older I get the less compliant I am with stuff. So, don't threaten me with information highway nonsense, because I am not filling anything out or sending anything in, so send the IH police to 7 Ewan Terrace, I'll be waiting for them!

Ok, so now I'll talk about birthdays, oh dear a very sore subject in my lifetime. I hated birthdays, my birthdays. They have always hit me in the wrong spot and I can't tell you why or exactly when that started. So, today it ends, on this milestone birthday of 65 years, it has to end and it is ending. To my children and my friends, if I have made you in anyway uncomfortable about my birthday it ends today! I thank you for putting up with my nonsense for all these years. Any and all birthday greetings, cards, flowers, calls and gifts that I have received from you all over the years I truly thank you for and please do not feel "obligated" in any way shape or form to do any such thing from this day forward unless it is you who want to do it, a phone call is sufficient!

Wow, that feels so good to get that off my chest. I feel good today, I feel so free today. I know my friends and family love me, they don't need to "prove" it in any way but to be there for me when the need is there. Let me tell you about a time that I was alone and ill. It wasn't around any holidays or birthdays. It was during the week and I was really sick. My daughter-in-law(you know who you are)prepared a "care" package with all the stuff needed for the head cold, the "I'm so sick, I could die" kinda cold. She and the family brought it too me and I didn't live too close to them either. This is caring this is the kind of love I'm talking about. The kind of love that when you move 4 times in one year the family and friends are there to help haul all that stuff up and down stairs in the hot, July, Florida weather. that is the kind of love and care I'm talking about!

So as I hit this "Milestone" birthday with full force, let me say that this blog isn't exactly how I wanted it to turn out but since it took this turn I went with it. I must also add I'm so glad that while I was not thinking about God back in my 40's and 50's and doing my own "thing", He was thinking about me and He never let me out of His sight. Someone was praying for me, if you are reading this today, I thank you for being obedient to God's will and keeping me in prayer. Turning my life over to my Lord was the best thing I have ever done, I just wish I had the insight to do it sooner. But God's word says that He has, had me in the palm of His hand, He has big plans for me and I intend to carry them out! Remember Moses was 80 years old as he led the Israelite's out of Egypt. Sara was 99 when she had a child. I know God can and will use me, even as I reach my "Milestone" age.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, looks like you're enjoying this writing thing; pretty good at it too, good for you, we all should be so gifted and willing to put thoughts to pen. Maybe there would be alot less stress in the world huh? Great thoughts, and I agree about the forms thing. It's like...if I really needed "that thing" they were selling, then I would already have it. Haaa! (then hang up, or throw it in the trash) And life has been so much better since I started muting the TV during commercials. (TMI huh?) Ok, anyway, I love reading about your keen awareness, good principles, especially when it becomes sort of a parable (those types are my favorite, and fun to write). Kudos! Love, TL

    ReplyDelete