It's me

It's me
The Bedouin Woman

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Psalm 23, the continuation

I feel I was amiss when I just dropped the remainder of Psalm 23. Ms Heidi did a bible study on this and it was so amazing that I decided to blog about it and then got half way through it and just didn't finish. Well, I'm here to tell you I really started to feel like I started something and then just didn't finish. Most of you who know me, know that is not my style so here I am to finish this project.

After reading this I think you will view Psalm 23 in a little different light. Please go to the first half of this blog and read the beginning, as I am going to begin where I left off. I promise you won't be sorry.

I will recap just a little. Remember the 23rd Psalm likens us to sheep in a fold and Our Lord as our Shepard. Sheep are skittish little guys and can't do hardly anything for themselves, so that is why the Shepard is always nearby, to keep them(us)out of trouble and to guide them(us)along life paths.
Conditions must be perfect for the sheep to sleep. If they fall down they need help getting up, isn't that a lot like us? In order to get a good night sleep they need to be free from fear, one small rodent could set them all off. If there is peace within the flock the sheep will rest well.
The sheep's body consists of 70% water, the Shepard needs to find clean water for them or they will drink dirty water and get very sick and even die.
If sheep are left to themselves they will follow the same path over and over, doesn't that sound familiar? They(we)need the Shepard to guide them(us). Our Shepard never leaves us! Even when we go through "dark valley's", He is there, all we have to do is feel or look for His presence.

That was an overview of what was writtena nd talked about and now I will start from verse 5 of Psalm 23.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.
The summer ranges are where the Shepard leads His sheep and they are called "table lands". The Shepard will decide where the best of everything is for the sheep. The best grazing ranges, the best watering holes. "You prepare a table before me". The Shepard will also seek out the poisonous weeds because sheep will eat anything and the Shepard will keep the sheep safe. God prepares us and the way for us, He will always go before us and He prepares the way for us. We may not know, but God always knows. Do we realize Jesus prays for us? I didn't know that, He intercedes for us Romans 8:31-39. He is always beside us wherever we are at, He has been there and prepared the way for us, He has cleansed the water for us, pulled the weeds and prepared the "table". The Shepard watches for predators in the summer season. The predators know when the Shepard wander off and are "cast down" that is when they "pounce" on the sheep. God as our Shepard deals with our enemy when we don't even realize it. Psalm 23 consists of a full year of a sheep's life.
Oil, sulfur and tar, a handmade concoction that the Shepard makes and it is only used on the head of the sheep, reasons:
1-to protect from nose and nasal flies. Summer can be a type of torment from flies. Flies lay eggs in the nose of the sheep and can cause great distress and even death. Once the oil is applied they become at peace. They know the oil protects them from these pests. Oil is indicative of the Holy Spirit throughout the bible. John 16, Jesus speaks of the Holy Spirit. The need of the oil of the Holy Spirit to anoint us, the head area is the place of most trouble, our minds bring the stumbling blocks. The anointing brings peace, rest and contentment. Wash with the oil daily, allow the Holy Spirit to wash over our minds, it's a daily wash!
2-Protects them from contagious diseases, "scab" disease highly contagious, irritating and can be deadly. As most Christians, the contamination comes through our minds. Philippians 4:8, this is what we are suppose to think on. Another reason we need the Holy Spirit to wash over our minds is, internet, TV, movies, news and so on leads to contaminating our minds.
3-To protect sheep from one another. As summer moves to autumn changes happen in the sheep. Season of mating, great battles ensue between Ewes and Rams. Rams butt heads to gain favor of the Ewes. The anointing of the oil once again, the Shepard slathers their head with the oil so they slide off one another. God also protects us from each other. The bible makes it very clear that wee are to love one another. We need to love all. Love people but not condone sin. The oil of the Holy Spirit anoints us and prevents us from hurting each other and causes us to love. God anoints His people.

Will continue with verse 6 in a few days, I promise not to drop the ball again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment